Crashes Involving Large Commercial Trucks Can Impact Victims For Years
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) indicates1 that there were about 95,000 people hurt in accidents involving large trucks during 2013. Because of the sheer size and weight of these vehicles, they are capable of causing serious injury and significant damage when they are involved in collisions with smaller vehicles. In many cases, the people involved in accidents with tractor-trailers or other large vehicles sustain injuries that can affect them for years and may even result in the development of a long-term disability. For this reason, anyone that has been hurt in an accident involving a large truck should contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. To schedule a free consultation with one of our Clearwater truck accident lawyer, call our office today at 727-451-6900.
What kinds of injuries are often sustained by people involved in truck accidents?
There are a number of types of injuries that commercial truck accident victims regularly sustain. Some of the more common are discussed below.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) – Traumatic brain injuries2 are a type of injury that occurs when head trauma results in a change in the way that the brain normally functions. These injuries can range from mild to severe, but even a mild TBI can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life and it can take months to recover. More serious TBIs can leave victims unable to work or care for themselves.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries3 (SCI) are arguably one of the most severe kinds of non-fatal injury that a person can sustain. Because the spinal cord is responsible for allowing the brain to communicate with the rest of the body, injury to the spinal cord has the potential to result in significant complications. People who sustain an SCI often experience pain, muscle weakness, loss of range of motion, and changes in sensation. In serious cases, victims can become paralyzed below the site of the injury.
- Burns – Burns are another potential injury that truck accident victims can sustain. They can occur due to fire, explosions, or even by a deploying airbag. In some cases, chemical burns can result if a truck is carrying hazardous materials. Burns are extremely painful and can leave victims with significant scarring that may have a significant impact on a person’s emotional well-being.
- Soft tissue injuries – Soft tissue injuries4 include any injury to the body’s soft tissues, including bruises, lacerations, sprains, strains, and tears. These injuries can range from mild to severe and have the potential to result in significant complications.
- Broken bones – Truck accident victims often sustain fractures, also referred to as a broken bone. These injuries can cause pain, disfigurement, and may require significant medical treatment to resolve.
These and other injuries that truck accident victims can sustain often affect them for years, if not decades. In some cases, a person may develop a permanent disability that has a direct impact on the way they live their day-to-day lives. For this reason, it is extremely important for people that are hurt in truck accidents to discuss their situation with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. In many cases, a lawyer can help victims obtain significant compensation that can ensure the financial security for years to come.
Call the Dolman Law Group today to retain an experienced Clearwater truck accident lawyer
Truck accidents can leave victims with extremely serious injuries that can affect them physically, financially, and emotionally. For this reason, Florida law allows victims to obtain compensation if they are able to establish that their injuries were the result of someone else’s negligence. The kinds of losses that are recoverable in a Florida truck accident case include medical bills, loss of quality of life, property damage, lost income, and physical and emotional pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation with one of our Clearwater, Florida truck accident attorneys, call the Dolman Law Group today at 727-451-6900. You can also send the firm an email by filling out and submitting our online contact form.
Dolman Law Group
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33756