Finding the Right Truck Accident Law Firm
It can be difficult for injury victims to know what to do after any auto accident. After receiving necessary medical attention, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. He or she will help you identify and preserve critical evidence, as well as file any necessary claims with the negligent driver’s insurance company or the court system. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you have legal rights which must be aggressively defended. Trust the Dolman Law Group and the decades of experience of their truck accident attorneys.
Things to Consider in Hiring an Attorney
There are many auto accident attorneys in southern Florida. How can injury victims know which attorney is right for them? Here are some important questions to consider:
- How long has this attorney been practicing personal injury law?
- Does he or she have extensive experience with auto accident cases? (Particularly with issues in your type of case, such as motorcycle, teen drivers, off road vehicles, etc.)
- Do you feel comfortable with this person? You must trust them with important decisions.
- Do you feel comfortable interacting with the attorney’s staff? Many clients have more interaction with staff that attorneys themselves. These professionals should also make you feel comfortable, valued, and well taken care of.
- What do other clients have to say? Were you referred by anyone? Have you seen any online reviews which indicate positive or negative experiences with this attorney?
- Does the attorney answer your questions appropriately? Do you ever feel dismissed, or that the attorney gets sidetracked from the issue at hand?
- Is the attorney able to articulate strategic plans for your case? Are you comfortable with the plan that he or she is proposing?
- Does the attorney have a clear written policy for how he or she will be paid? If there is a contingent fee, will the costs of the case be deducted before or after the attorney’s contingency fee is calculated? Are you comfortable with the fee arrangements which are being proposed?
How A Trucking Company Can Be Legally Responsible For Causing a Truck Accident
Legal responsibility (“liability”) for a truck accident can fall to either driver. Trucking companies can also be found liable for causing a truck accident when their conduct resulted in an unsafe situation on the road. For example, because truck drivers are often paid by the mile, not by the hour, they are forced to choose between productivity and safety. Trucking companies that encourage drivers to push themselves to drive unsafe hours – or simply do not discourage it – can be liable for accidents caused by tired truck drivers.
A common problem in the trucking industry is a high turnover rate. This means that truck drivers on the roadway are almost always inexperienced. The turnover rate among truck drivers also means that trucking companies do not always thoroughly screen for problem drivers – especially those with a history of trucking and traffic violations. Accidents caused by drivers who are inexperienced or have poor driving histories can also bring liability to the transit companies that hire them.
Be Aware of Truck Driving Risks During Summer Months
Most drivers are particularly cautious of winter driving risks, such as black ice and snow. But are you aware of the risks of driving in the summer months? Here are just a few:
Construction. Most construction occurs during the predictable weather of summer months. Construction zones always pose particular risks. Make sure that you slow down and pay attention to the signs and directions in the construction zone. Also be careful of construction workers who are in and about the area.
More trucks on the road. With increased construction comes an increased demand for materials. This means there are more trucks on the road, which increases the risk of an accident. Always allow extra distance between yourself and a commercial truck (such as a semi truck, a tractor-trailer, an eighteen wheeler, or any other big rig), as these vehicles require greater stopping distance. You should also take extra steps to be sure your vehicle is visible to the truck driver.
Trucks in construction zones. The combination of big rigs and construction zones can be lethal. When you are in a construction zone, be especially mindful of your surroundings. Big rigs can be behind you, ahead of you, or parked on the side of the road within the construction zone. Slow down and allow yourself plenty of time to avoid these vehicles.
Tire Blowouts. Hot weather causes more tire blowouts – especially in Houston’s summer months, where asphalt and pavement become hot enough to destroy tires. Any tire blowout causes the driver to lose some control over the vehicle, but this is especially dangerous in the weight of a fully loaded big rig. Again, leave plenty of space between your vehicle and a big rig so you have time to react in the event the truck driver loses control of his vehicle.
Road rage. Hotter temperatures mean hotter tempers. Don’t let the weather cause you to speed, tailgate, weave, or engage in other driving behavior that puts you and other drivers at risk.
Inexperienced drivers. The period between Memorial Day and Labor Day is sometimes referred to as the “one hundred deadly days of summer”. This is because there are more teen drivers on the road while school is not in session, and these young, inexperienced drivers are not always prepared to react to conditions in the roadway. Help your teen driver prepare for being near trucks on road by teaching them safe driving techniques.
Aggressive Pursuit of Your Truck Accident Personal Injury Claim
The Dolman Law Group protects residents and visitors of St. Petersburg to ensure that truck accident victims are fairly compensated for their injuries and losses. Our experienced truck accident attorneys have decades of experience in negotiating and litigating truck accident claims arising from truck accidents. Call (727) 451-6900 to schedule your free consultation with a personal injury attorney today. Our friendly, professional staff offers the personalized service and dedication that can ensure the best possible outcome of your legal case.