The Holidays Can Increase The Risk Of Serious Semi-Truck Accidents
With the holidays having just passed, more and more of us hit the road to visit family and friends around the country. According to the Bureau of Travel Statistics,1 more than 90 percent of long-distance travel is accomplished by the use of a personal vehicle such as a car, so roadways can often become congested during the holiday season. In addition, the holiday shopping season can result in a significant increase in commercial shipping as retailers gear up for increased volume. For this reason, it is not uncommon to see more commercial trucks hauling goods from place to place than usual around the holidays.
There is always a risk of a serious accident occurring when trucks and passenger vehicles operate in close proximity to one another. In most cases, occupants of the passenger vehicles are the ones who are injured in these kinds of accidents – in fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) indicates2 that of the approximately 95,000 people injured in accidents involving large trucks in 2015, 71 percent were the occupants of other vehicles.
Holiday accident victims can often recover for their losses
People who are hurt in accidents involving large trucks are often able to obtain compensation for the losses they experience. The kinds of damages that are often successfully sought after a Clearwater semi-truck accident include the following:
- Medical expenses – The medical expenses that seriously injured truck accident victims can incur may rise well into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. Florida law often allows victims to recover for the costs associated with their past, current, and future medical treatment after an accident caused by the negligence of someone else.
- Lost income and future earnings – Many truck accident victims are unable to work for months or even years after an accident occurs. In particularly serious cases, a person who is injured in a truck accident may be unable to return to work at all. This can result in the loss of a significant amount of income over the period of time that a person is unable to work.
- Damage to property – Truck accidents often leave other vehicles totaled or requiring thousands of dollars in repair costs.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering – Individuals who are involved in accidents often experience significant physical and emotional pain and suffering, which the law recognizes as a compensable loss.
What to do if you are involved in an accident
There are certain steps that truck accident victims should take after an accident to ensure that they protect their legal rights. These include the following:
- Document information regarding your crash – One of the most important things to do after an accident is to document as much information as possible about the circumstances surrounding the wreck. Examples of the kinds of facts of which to make note include the names of the drivers involved, contact information from any witnesses, any logos or company names that are visible on the truck or other vehicles involved, and the weather conditions at the time of the accident.
- Seek medical attention – Truck accident victims should be certain to undergo a thorough medical evaluation even if they do not believe that they were seriously hurt in the incident. Certain injuries, such as whiplash, may initially seem much less serious than they are. In addition, seeking medical attention results in the generation of an official record that may be important in establishing damages.
- Contact an attorney – Truck accident victims should contact a lawyer as soon as they can. Any delay can result in the loss or destruction of evidence critical to you case.
Contact a Clearwater truck accident law firm today to discuss your case
The winter holiday season should be a time for seeing friends and family, not recovering in a hospital bed because of the carelessness or negligence of a truck driver or trucking company. People who are hurt in truck accidents should always fully explore their legal options after an accident by talking to an attorney familiar with representing crash victims. The lawyers of the Dolman Law Group are dedicated to helping people who have been hurt in preventable accidents recover for their injuries. To schedule a free case evaluation with a Clearwater truck accident lawyer, call our office today at 770-451-6900 or send us an email through our online contact form.
Dolman Law Group
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33756